29 October 2008

Show up early. But don't forget your socks.

In 1889, The Oklahoma Land Rush Happened. I was negative ninety three years old.
In 1989, Community Christian School, celebrated the one hundredth year anniversary with a mock-land run. I was six years old.
I dressed up like a small cowboy. I wore my white leather cowboy boots. I forgot to wear socks. I think I remember that day so well because all I wanted to do was sit down because my blistered heels were chewed all to hell by the shoddy leather sewing togethers on the interiors of those boots. I remember someone had a Radio Flyer, I wanted to lie down in it and be pulled to wherever my family would finally "stake their claim". I remember there were sandwiches. I drive by that school everyday on my way to work and remember those things in that order almost every time.

It's strange the things a mind will choose to remember. Because something hurt. Or something smelled good. Or it was a particularly bright day.

Strange indeed.

2 comments:

Emily said...

I remember that day almost everytime I drive by that playground, as well, which is decidedly less often than you do and I don't remember sandwiches or my footwear.
Sucksville on the socklessness. I wonder why you weren't outfitted with socks before you left the house.

Anil P said...

It is really strange the things the mind chooses to remember.

Beyond a point the memories fail to evoke feelings, living on as mere remembrances.