10 March 2008

South, South West

Well, I'm making the journey to SXSW this week. This is the first time I'm going and not playing so it should be quite a different experience. Not that playing SXSW was ever a glamourous experience for me, there is no where else in the world where people care less about your band then in Austin Texas during the week of South by South West. If they can get into your show they probably don't want to. everyone looks like they're in a band, acts like they're in a band, and usually acts like their band is cooler then they actually are. I've always opted to seem as non-rocker as possible while down there, once you're surrounded by an oceanic expanse of people who think they are and should make it in rock and roll you start to feel small. But also smarter, more often then not they take on the blasé I-look-this-dumb-and-boring-on-purpose approach to milling around the streets, waiting to play for people that will be too drunk to remember. Anyway, I feel like I'm rambling. Even though this isn't a tour experience, it is a road one so Keep up with the ROAD LIFE, I'm going to try to update it daily and regale you with tales of the adventures my girlfriend and I take on.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Ha. I totally get what you're saying.

Remember when The Umbrellas played here last year and all of the kids standing around drinking Monster were way too cool to be there...making political statements with their hairstyles, etc... There is a part of me that really loves those kids and their creative use of knee high athletic socks and there is another part of me that wishes they weren't so uncomfortable in their own skin.(Now I'm rambling)

So, how does one set oneself apart from the Set Apart? I can't wait to read your updates. :)